Aaron has been obsessed with garbage trucks since he was about 18 months old. He knows alot about them, has all kinds of books about them, and has numerous toy ones. He aspires to be a garbage man (we say "sanitation engineer") when he grows up.
He still loves garbage trucks, but he has moved on to a new obsession. LEGOS. Oh my, the boy can't get enough! He inherited a nice collection that belonged to my brother and I, and he has gradually doubled that collection, I do believe. A while back I signed him up for a Lego Club Jr magazine, which was free, and they mailed him a Lego catalog. The catalog is in shreds now because he reads it all the time!! He loves to go on the Lego website and play the games, but also look at the products and see how much they cost. (Internet shopping at age 6!!) Recently he saved his allowance and birthday money and was able to buy a $40 set he had been salivating for. He owns almost the entire fire truck collection in the Lego City line.
A few weeks ago he saw a contest in the Lego Club Jr magazine challenging kids to build a sports related creation. Aaron wanted to build a soccer coach, and we worked to come up with the design in the picture above. I didn't build it myself, although I helped him. He has a very good grasp of "Lego design" and was able to conceptualize even the big "6" on the shirt of the coach. He's really hoping he wins (I think we'll hear later this month if we did), because the prize is a $100 Lego gift card. He already knows what he will buy with it. He wants me to drive him to Birmingham, which is the nearest Lego store. That would be like heaven for him!!
I'm glad my boy is so focused. He takes something he likes and gets really good at it, which is a very good quality. He's much like his Dad in that way. He is very mechanical and I see a future for him as a mechanical engineer. Maybe he can design the next generation of garbage trucks.
No comments:
Post a Comment