Saturday, October 30, 2010

Junie B. Jones

Aaron and Claire have a new obsession with Junie B. Jones.  She's a kindergartener/1st grader who is the star of the book series written by Barbara Park.  Aaron has been enjoying reading the books for a while (they are chapter books and he can fly through one in less than half an hour!).  Claire has enjoyed them a little, but when we took a road trip over fall break to visit Poppy, I checked out Junie B. Jones on audio.  Claire absolutely LOVED it!  Her favorite one was Junie B. First Grader, Boo! (and I mean it!).

I have a love/hate with Junie B.  She can talk disrespectfully and she uses words like "dumb" and "stupid" which my kids know I don't want them to say.  But her stories are very cute and the kids relate to them well.  I love how she encourages not only reading, but also writing since Junie B. keeps a journal. 

The reason I had checked out the audio books is because I was chosen as one of two chaperones for Aaron's field trip the following week.  We were going to see a Junie B. Jones play at the Cannon Center for the Performing Arts.  I love going on field trips with Aaron's class!  This was our first one of the year.  I had found out which three books the play was based upon, and those three books were on the audio I chose. 

Here's Aaron, excited to see me when his class arrived at the Cannon Center.




We had some time to kill once we got seated, waiting for the show to start. The auditorium was full of elementary school classes from all kinds of schools!




The other chaperone was Danielle, Sophia's mom. She and I have become friends this year!


Aaron's classmates wanted to take goofy pictures while we waited. LOVE this age!








We had a great time! Aaron was disappointed when I didn't check him out after the field trip, but they still had half a day of school left and I had work to do at home. The funny thing was that I had taken another mom in my van...we had met that morning at the school and I offered to let her ride with me, and we enjoyed chatting and getting to know each other. Then she checked her boy out and he rode home in Aaron's seat. I never told him though--he would have been so jealous!

No comments: