Monday, November 29, 2010

Tooth fairy's first visit!

Back in mid-October the kids had their dentist appointments, and when the dentist casually mentioned Aaron's loose teeth, I was shocked and even teared up!  Neither Aaron nor I even knew any were loose.  As the weeks went on, one of the bottom teeth got looser and looser, and Aaron had started wiggling it so much it was really gross! 

Then one day (October 27 to be exact) as we were walking home from school, Aaron announced that he had lost his tooth that day during library!!  He said it fell into his mouth so he went and asked the librarian for a ziploc bag to put it in.  He was so excited.

Look at that toothless grin!



That evening we got to use our tooth fairy pillow for the first time.  Aunt Judy made it for us, in the shape of a tooth with a little pocket on the front for a tooth. 




Aaron wrote a note to the tooth fairy, telling her about how he lost his tooth and telling her exactly where to put the money. (In the pocket...of course!)

The funny thing was that about a week before he lost his tooth, he had a conversation with me in the van where he started processing the whole tooth fairy story. He said he didn't think there was really a tooth fairy, because fairies aren't real, so he thought it was really the parents who put the money there. He had a plan to figure it out--he told me, "When I lose my tooth, YOU don't put money under my pillow. When I wake up if I find money, we will know the tooth fairy is real, but if I don't find money, you can just give me some then." Pretty logical!

He never mentioned that plan again so I didn't bring it up and put the money in the pocket after he was asleep! We were going to do $1...no reason to aim high!...but then when Aaron talked about putting some in his give bank and some in his save bank, we decided to reward his sweet giving spirit and give him $2. I think our tooth fairy will do $2 for the first tooth and $1 for every tooth after that.

No comments: