Friday, February 15, 2008

Our Valentine's Day - Sharing the Love

It seems that as I've gotten older, Valentine's Day is just not that bigga deal in the grand scheme of things. Chris and I are pretty good at showing each other love every day, so V-day usually comes and goes without much fanfare.

This year was not terribly different, from a romantic standpoint. Chris gave me a card as he was getting ready for work, telling me how wonderful I am in so many different ways. Awwww... I wish I had thought to get him a card! Oops!

When the kids woke up, Aaron said, "Happy Valentine's Day, Mommy" and my heart soared. Then I gave the kids their happies. They each got a new dinnerware set (plate, bowl, and cup). Aaron got Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Claire got Little Einsteins. Aaron and I made wildberry muffins for breakfast. Mimi stopped by to bring me heart-shaped pans, so we gave her a Valentine card the kids had made, with a glitter heart on front and their handprints on the inside. She loved it! Then the kids were off to Mother's Day Out for their Valentine parties. I'm sure they got way too sugared up!

I went to work for a while then Chris and I met for lunch. It's always fun to do that because we don't really have to line up a babysitter, and it's just nice to meet during the day. I picked up the kids at 2:00 and we delivered a Valentine card to Chris's grandmother, who was home sick. Then we came home and played outside (what a treat with the weather being so cold lately!). When we came in we baked some chocolate chip cookies for Daddy. I opted for that instead of a heart-shaped strawberry cake, which is what I have done in past years. Daddy really likes my chocolate chip cookies! While the cookies were baking we looked through the goody bags the kids had gotten at school and I read them their cards.

My mom, Granny, stopped by while we were making dinner, to bring the kids their valentine's happies. They each got a cute stuffed animal, and Chris and I got a box of chocolates! We invited my grandma over for dinner, which was homemade heart-shaped pizzas. The turned out really cute and were especially delicious. Grandma seemed to enjoy seeing the kids. She also really liked the Valentine card the kids made her!

So while V-day wasn't terribly romantic this year, I felt lots of love from our family and friends, and we passed it along as well. That's what it's all about!

No comments: