Thursday, June 11, 2009

Aaron's 5th Birthday



Aaron has been looking forward to his birthday since the day after Christmas. It's a good thing he has a birthday in the middle of the year, so we can spread out the gifts evenly! When he found out it was June 1, he could hardly contain his excitement because he knew his birthday was only 5 days away!

Since his birthday was actually on Saturday, we decided to do his birthday party ON his birthday, even though I was only 11 days into recovery from having Hannah. I knew I could count on help from family and friends, and I was planning a pretty easy party. I had bought almost everything in early May, so the only thing I really had to do was make the cake--because like my mother did for me, I insist on making birthday cakes for my children. Aaron chose a construction theme for his party this year, and he wanted a dump truck cake with dirt and worms in the back. Here's how it turned out--a little hoopty but he loved it!


Aaron was soooo excited when he woke up on his birthday. He came to our bed just grinning, and announced that he was now FIVE! Then he said to Daddy, "But I think there is a problem. I don't seem to be any bigger than I was yesterday." We cracked up laughing, as Daddy assured him that he was indeed just a little bit bigger.

He spent the morning playing in the mud while Chris cleaned up the backyard for the party. What an ideal way to spend the morning!

When he saw he had 2 presents from Mom and Dad, I tried to get him to wait until the party to open them, but he talked us into letting him open one present. He chose the one that rattled--which turned out to be a Lego Recycling Truck set that he has been wanting for quite a while. He's never had an official Lego set--all of his Legos are hand-me-down from my brother's collection--and we were amazed at how well he did following the instructions to put the truck together. He and Chris (and Claire!) worked on it while I finished the last minute details for the party.


When all our friends and family started arriving, the backyard filled up fast! I had hoped to have some of the party in our side yard, but it was hot and sunny and just too miserable out there. I'm thankful for a shady backyard! The kids had fun in the sandbox (and we now need more sand as it got spread all over!) and on the swingset.


I never knew so many kids could fit in a turtle sandbox!


When a bunch of kids start swinging on our rickety swingset, an adult has to hold one side or it start rocking!


I had also brought out several of Aaron's construction and garbage trucks to use as decoration, and those were a big hit.


Hannah enjoyed sleeping through the entire party, in Aunt Ginger's arms.


Uncle Ed came dressed as a construction worker, complete with "Taylor Construction" hats--one for the foreman (Aaron), and one for the gopher (Ed).




Aaron had a couple of games planned, but it was kind of difficult to coordinate all the kids for the game, especially as hot as it was. This was "dirt scoop relay" which we did in the sunny side yard.






We went back to the backyard (and lost the attention of most of the kids) for "tool belt relay".


The kids had to put on a tool belt (made by my friend Amber--aren't they cute?) and fill them with tools, then hand it off to the next person to do.




Time for cake and ice cream!


Mama with her big boy!


The family, minus Hannah.












Now for Aaron's favorite part...PRESENTS!!!




He had lots of helpers!!






His big present from Mimi and Pa--a digger!!


Then just as we were finishing up, Hannah woke up, and got to meet her cousins and some of Aaron's friends.


After the party, Claire, Hannah, and I crashed on the couch! I got teary eyed at the sweetness of the moment. Post-pardum hormones have me crying alot these days!


We are so blessed to have three beautiful children, and I can hardly believe our first baby is now a 5 year old little boy. Happy Birthday Little Man!

3 comments:

Everyday Blessings said...

I'm sad we couldn't be there to celebrate. It looks like everyone had a blast. I just had to comment on your cake. It looks GREAT and I still can't believe you found the time or energy to do it. It turned out great!

Amber said...

It was a fun party, Cody liked playing in the sand box with everyone. I love the cake!

Sophie-and-Bryce said...

i'm still amazed that you had enough energy to pull this one off!

we had a great time, too!