Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Labor Days...Claire

Claire, born July 7, 2006

After having a c-section with Aaron, I was thrilled when my doctor told me that I could attempt VBAC (vaginal birth after cesearean) with Claire. There are risks associated with it, but really no more than with a second c-section, and I really wanted to try to give birth normally. I felt I had been robbed of that experience and wanted to at least give it another shot. My doctor told me the circumstances that led to my first c-section would not necessarily present themselves again, so I had a decent chance of successfully having a VBAC.

About 3 weeks before I was due with Claire, I started having lots of contractions. Some were more painful than Braxton Hicks and most of them took my breath away. I found myself always needing to sit down to catch my breath, and my tummy would get hard as a rock!

About 2 weeks before my due date, I just knew I was in labor. I was having lots of contractions and wasn't able to sleep. We called Chris's mom to come stay at the house with Aaron. I think it was around 4 or 5 in the morning. We told her not to rush, but I think she did anyway and got there around 5:00 or 6:00. I was second guessing my decision to go to the hospital by the time she got there, because my contractions started calming down anytime I sat and rested. Every time I got up and started stirring around, they would come back. Since Mimi had already come all the way to the house, we went on the hospital.

When I got to the hospital I was a couple centimeters dilated (maybe 3 or 4?) and they started monitoring my contractions. I was having regular contractions every 5 minutes, so we thought, "This is it!" However after several hours, my contractions got more sporadic, and I wasn't dilating any more. They finally sent me home that evening, and said there was a good possibility I'd be back the next day.

A week and a half later (!!!), I was still having several contractions each day, but nothing more than what I had been having. I walked around the block every night--just trying to bring on real labor! I made it to my next scheduled appointment, 3 days before my due date. The doctor was surprised to see I had made it that long, but she knew I didn't have long to go! That afternoon I picked Aaron up from summer camp at church, and I remember having to pause in the hallway a couple of times because the contractions really hurt. That evening, while Chris cut the grass, I walked around the block with my friend Debra, and we were timing my contractions. They were every 5 minutes, but I was still hesitating about going to the doctor. Debra couldn't believe I would hesitate, and asked, "Am I going to have to take you to the hospital myself???" Ha!

When I got home I went out to see Chris in the yard, and told him I thought it might be getting close to real labor, and maybe we should send Aaron to spend the night away so we would be free to leave whenever. We got Aaron's bag packed and took him to Mammaw's house. I will never forget the smell--Mammaw had been canning pickles that day (she wasn't really expecting company!) and when we walked in the house the smell of the vinegar cooking burned my eyes!! Aaron didn't seem to notice and was excited to stay with Mammaw and Pappaw.

We got home and I laid in the bed to try to rest for a while. The contractions were hurting pretty bad. Chris was standing by the bed during one of them, and when the contraction was dying down I heard a pop (he didn't hear it), and I jumped up and realized my water had broken!! The contractions came fast and furious at that point, and I was in some serious pain. We scrambled around to gather up all our stuff, and I remember thinking, "Get me to the hospital NOW!!"

We got to the hospital room around 11 pm, and I was blessed to have two nurses. One of them was in training, her 2nd day on the job. She was Indian, and had been a labor and delivery nurse for something like 20 years. Since she didn't really have any responsibility yet, she was able to stay by my bedside and help me through the pain until I got my epidural. She was wonderful! She massaged my back and helped me breathe. I think I would still remember her face if I saw her again!

I fully dilated on my own (no pitocin required, which was good because pitocin causes more risks for VBAC) by 4:30 or 5. When it was time to push I felt so confused about what to do. I had never done that before, and I couldn't really feel anything because of the epidural, but I tried to just do what the nurses were telling me. I pushed for an hour, then the doctor on call decided I needed a c-section. Claire was not coming down any further, and she was starting to go into distress. I was at peace with the decision, because I had come into it knowing it was a possibility. I was glad I had gotten a chance to at least try.

Claire was born around 7:30 am on July 7, 2006. She weighed in at 6 lbs 8 oz (a chunk compared to her tiny brother!), and healthy as could be. Aaron got to come later that day to see her--he was so proud. We are so thankful to have our sweet Claire Bear!

1 comment:

Momma! said...

Wow... what a memory! I just had Grayson 5 weeks ago and can't tell you that much detail! Who knows what happened with the other two...