Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Some recent funnies

Last week Aaron asked me, "Do you grow an inch on your birthday?" He has noticed he is smaller than the other kids in his class (mostly because people will comment on how he doesn't look big enough to go to Kindergarten!). A few days later I talked to his teacher, and she told me they tell them crazy things to get them to lay down at nap time, like "You'll grow 3 or 4 inches while you're resting!"



*****



A few nights ago we were telling Aaron at dinner time, "You better improve your attitude." Claire looked at me with big doe eyes and said, "What's ATTITUDE?" It was just the cutest thing ever--maybe you had to be there!



*****



While playing with Aaron I overheard Claire making her princess doll talk to one of Aaron's trains. "But I need a fodder," she said.



"Why do you need a father?" Aaron asked.



"I need a real person fodder to take care of me," she made her princess answer.



Later I heard her saying, "Wait, train! I am your husband fodder! I'm not alone anymore!" She cracks me up! The way she plays is so different than Aaron, and it is so cute!



*****


Recently we were reading the Bible story about Jesus being tempted in the wilderness. They had never heard that story before (it is in one of their new children's Bibles, but it is not in any of the other ones that I have seen). The kids were very intense listening to the story, about this new character "Satan" they had never heard of, who told Jesus to turn the rock into food when he was hungry. After the story Claire said, "Yeah, he wanted Jesus to turn that rock into food, but Jesus wouldn't do that, because that's silly, and God doesn't like silly things." I realized she had totally missed the point of the story, and I told her God DOES like silly things, at appropriate times. Now she'll do silly things and say, "That's silly, and God likes silly things."

*****

Claire got one of the chapter books we checked out from the library, and while she was patiently waiting for me to finish taking care of Hannah, she started "reading" it to herself. The book is actually about a dog named Lucy, but she said it was called "Emily Goes to Kindergarten". She had this whole story "written" about Emily wanting to go to Kindergarten, because she is 5, but her Mommy tells her, "I'm sorry honey, it's not a school day. The mean witch might lock you in a tall tower (Dora reference) if you go to Kindergarten when it's not a school day." "Oh No!" Emily said.... and it went on and on. It cracked me up how she would make the mother in the story say things like "honey" and "baby" when talking to Emily, the way I use those words when I talk to Claire! She told me the story over and over, and she would turn the page and say "Chapter 2....The next morning..." She is such a smart and funny girl!

No comments: