Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Fun!

We had the best Halloween ever this year!

Chris was hunting so I had the kids by myself most of the day. We started out with a yummy homemade whole-wheat blueberry waffle breakfast. I love doing big breakfast on Saturday!

Then we headed out in search of the perfect pumpkins. I don't know why I had not bought pumpkins already...but I learned my lesson this year. Do not wait until Halloween day to buy one. The first pumpkin stand we went to had smaller pumpkins, good for carving, but NOT big enough to put Hannah in. And that was the priority. I bought two of the smaller pumpkins, and headed to two more stands looking for large pumpkins. All the other stands were OUT of pumpkins! I couldn't believe it. I started to panic--what if I couldn't get the all-important pumpkin picture with Hannah, like I did with the first two children? That would be a travesty!! I already feel guilty enough about not doing stuff for my 3rd child!

I drove through our Old Towne area to see if the farmer's market was there, although I knew it wouldn't be. I just didn't know what else to do. When I drove by Old Towne Gifts, which is owned/run by my friend Stephanie, I saw two large pumpkins, either one perfect for my picture! I worked up my nerve and went inside. I introduced myself to Stephanie's boyfriend, and told him my dilemma. I offered him $20 plus the two smaller pumpkins I had bought earlier in the day in exchange for one of his big pumpkins. Thankfully, he took my offer! He wanted me to bring the picture by later--he said they might like to use it in an ad or something! Wow! I went back to the first pumpkin stand and bought two more carving pumpkins, and we headed home.

We put Hannah down for a nap, and started to work on our pumpkins. Aaron drew how he wanted his face to look (he was specific about having a trapezoid nose), and Claire wanted to copy her pumpkin bucket.


We started gutting the pumpkins. Aaron really liked the pumpkin guts. Claire wouldn't touch them with her hands--only the spoon.


Aaron got to the point where we had to tell him over and over to STOP with the guts already. He kept putting them back into the pumpkins...driving me nuts in the process!




Then we started drawing our designs and cutting...


Mom was there, so we actually got a picture of me!


The finished pumpkins!


When Hannah woke up from her nap, she ate and got happy, and it was time for her to get in her pumpkin! We had to try a couple of times, but I finally got her legs folded comfortably and she sat and looked around. A couple of times she smiled, and I got the best picture ever!


That was so worth the $27 pumpkin!

She tasted it, too.


And the rest of the day will have to be another post! This one is too long already!

1 comment:

Jason and Leigha said...

What a fun day! I love that picture of Hannah. :)