Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Traditions Dinner

One of my favorite events of the Christmas season is the Christmas Traditions Dinner held at our church. Ladies sign up to decorate and hostess a table, using their own place settings and centerpieces. A catered dinner is served, and there is music and a speaker. We also have a silent auction to benefit the Lottie Moon Christmas offering. It really is a wonderful evening!

Last year I decorated my table with my Grandmother's china, and invited her friends to sit at the table. It appears I started a tradtion, as they really enjoyed the evening and I had to do it again this year. It was my pleasure. I really enjoy having an excuse to get out the pretty stuff and be a hostess, especially since my home is not really large enough to host more than a couple of people.

And without further ado, here is the table!


The vase in the middle was always in a prominent place in Grandma's home, and now it's on my mantle. The dishes, silverware, and silver service are all family heirlooms. Even the embroidered table runner was made by my great grandmother.

A closer look...


A side note--I made those cute little boxes! I found a tutorial online and had so much fun making them. I put chocolate truffles inside for my guests to take home.

Because I'm just that crazy, this year I actually decorated two tables. I felt bad having my Christmas dishes (which are actually dollar store finds!) packed away when they needed more tables to seat everyone at the dinner. So I volunteered to decorate an extra table. I had fun with it because it was more Christmas-y.





(I made those boxes too! Aaron and I had a marathon box-making session the day before the dinner!)

I took pictures of EVERY other table, because I just love going back to look at them. Some of my favorites:
*My friend Angie painted rubber boots silver and used them to hold her cookie lollipops. Such a cute idea! You can get some of those cookies--check out www.paintedcookie.blogspot.com!
*I love the redbird plates. Something about them makes me smile.
*The Happy Birthday Jesus table had understated decor (plastic tablecloth, paper plates and plastic forks) with balloons and a chocolate birthday cake in the center. I loved how this pointed to the real Reason for the season!

Enjoy the pictures!

No comments: