Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The worst thing that could happen?

After the last five days that I have had, I think that quite possibly the worst thing that can happen to you when you're 34 weeks pregnant is to GET THE FLU. (Yes, this late in the season--what's that all about??)

Last Friday my sweet mother-in-law was here cleaning my house for me, doing some of the sweeping/mopping/vacuuming/bathroom cleaning that my aching back was not allowing me to get done. I mostly sat, the kids played outside, and I folded laundry. A bunch of Hannah's laundry at that!!

I kept popping Tylenol all day and couldn't figure out why my back was aching so badly when I wasn't being very active. Normally when I'm sitting still I'm not in constant pain. The Tylenol was not touching the pain and I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

The afternoon came and I found I could not hold my eyes open, and I was still in pain, so I gave in and took a nap on the couch while the kids rested. When I woke up, I couldn't bring myself to get off the couch, so the kids put in videos and we just vegged out. The longer the afternoon dragged on, the more I realized something was wrong. I was running fever, and my body aches were horrible. I knew a couple of people who had gotten the flu earlier in the week, so I suspected that might be what was wrong with me.

Chris got home from work, and my mom came over to drive me to the minor med. Our experience there was interesting--after waiting for an hour in the waiting room, miserable with fever, chills, and aches, I finally got called back and the nurse said, "Oh, excuse me, ma'am, are you pregnant?" I looked down at my bulging belly and back at her, wondering what would make her ask this obvious question, and said, "Yes...." She told me they would not treat me, that I would have to go to labor and delivery at the hospital.

"What? I'm not in labor! I just need to know if I have the flu. Can you swab me for the flu?" I responded.

"Oh, yes, I suppose, but we can't treat you. They won't give you anything if you're pregnant. You need to call your OB's office," she said.

But they're closed! What is an on-call nurse going to do for me?? Or the L&D nurses at the hospital for that matter?

Whatever, I thought. I spent the next hour and a half with them doing a blood test, urine sample, nasal and throat swabs, monitoring my baby's heartbeat and attemping to monitor my contractions with just their hands. The doctor told me I had two contractions in the 10 minutes she had her hands on my belly, and I needed to go to L&D, but I knew better--I was not having contractions. They sent me away with a flu diagnosis, some paperwork, and a face mask, telling me to head to the hospital. Mom and I left the office and I immediately called my OB's on-call nurse and we agreed I did NOT need to go to the hospital, just home to rest. Unfortunately, they can't give any flu medicines to pregnant women, so I was stuck just taking Tylenol and Theraflu, fighting off the illness myself.

Saturday and Sunday were horrible--I was quarantined in the back of the house in my bed, with Chris waiting on me and taking care of the kids. The kids made me a sweet get-well card. Once I heard Claire whine to Daddy, "I want my mama!" Nearly broke my heart. I was in so much pain and ready for the whole thing to be over.

Sunday afternoon/evening I came out for a little while to sit in the recliner, but the kids still had to stay away from me. Monday Chris took the kids to his grandmother's for the day. He also took Aaron to his 5 year checkup at the pediatrician, an appointment I really wanted to go to. I stayed home by myself all day watching mindless TV and trying to sleep although I couldn't even breathe through all the congestion.

Tuesday was a little better. I took the kids to school then came home and crashed for a couple of hours. After I picked up the kids from school, my sweet mother-in-law met me at the house to drive me to my scheduled OB appointment. Wouldn't you know my blood pressure was high? (Will the drama never end???) I've NEVER had high blood pressure--so I hope it was just related to the flu and decongestants I had taken. I'm borrowing a blood pressure monitor thingy for the next few days to keep a watch on it.

I feel so much better today--not nearly as congested, not achy at all, and I was able to go outside with the kids for a while this morning. (I just sat in the chair and watched them play, but it was so much better than being in the bed or on the couch!)

I'm so thankful to everyone who has helped us out over the last few days. I hate feeling helpless but it's good to see things getting done and people stepping in to help me when I need it. We are so very blessed.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I'm so sorry you were sick and feeling like poop. Get well and rest up. You'll be in my prayers for renewed strength and energy, oh and the ability to breathe easy through your nose. That always helps!

Woodman said...

Gosh Girl!! You've had a tough time!! Glad you are feeling better!!!

Kim Trimm said...

goodness. that sounds horrible. i'm sorry you had to go through that, and i hope you're feeling much better!