Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fostering Independence

Aaron and Claire are definitely growing up. We've been finding ways to foster independence in them, to help them learn responsibility and to help us out since we've got three kids now. Really we're focusing on Aaron...but since Claire wants to do everything her big brother does, she is learning to do things for herself, too.

Both of them have chores they do every day to earn stickers on a chart, and they are paid a small allowance at the end of the week if they get enough stickers (right now it's 21 for Aaron and 14 for Claire). We're starting to teach them to put 10% in a give bank, 10% in a save bank, and the other 80% in a spend bank. (I made the banks out of Crystal Light containers...they turned out cute!) Aaron can hardly wait to get up to $5 in his spend bank so he can buy a new Lego set at Target.

Aaron does chores like taking out the trash in the two small trash cans (his favorite job!), putting away the silverware out of the dishwasher, stripping the sheets off his bed when I need to wash them, setting the table and clearing his place afterwards. Claire helps with the silverware and setting the table. She's actually better at clearing her place than Aaron is, but I think it's because she doesn't make as big of a mess when she eats! They also both put away their own laundry, and I let them help me put away the groceries. They fight over who gets to stack up the yogurts in the fridge!! I know they won't always be so eager to help...so I'm living it up now.

We've also been teaching Aaron how to bathe himself. We supervise while he washes his own hair and body. Claire has also learned how to wash her own body (but I'm not letting her wash her own hair yet--she has too much of it and I want to make sure it gets good and clean). This makes it possible for me to bathe Hannah at the same time, in her little baby tub.

They also both know how to put in their own videos, and Aaron knows how to change the input on the TV and navigate the menus to get to the right episode. He can also get on the computer and get to the game he wants to play (we have them bookmarked for him) all by himself. It blows my mind what kids these days know how to do with technology!!!

I'm amazed to see these little ways the kids are growing up. That's what parenting all about I guess--training them to eventually live on their own one day, as a productive member of society. Chris and I have been discussing lately that we also want to make sure we do some intentional things in our parenting to make sure the kids are glorifying God in their skills, character, and actions. I'm praying we can be the example we need to be to raise Godly children! I fall short every day, so I am so thankful for God's grace!

No comments: