A couple of weeks ago I found out I have gall stones. I was having my third attack (since Hannah's birth), in serious pain in the bathroom floor, when I started realizing it might be my gall bladder. Gall stones are common in women who have had multiple pregnancies. We Googled it, and I talked to my sister-in-law who had her gall bladder removed 5 years ago, and I was convinced it was gall stones. A trip to the doctor and the imaging center for an ultrasound confirmed it.
I was scheduled to consult with the surgeon tomorrow, but on Sunday I had another mild attack and Monday I called the surgeon to see if I could move up the appointment and possibly get surgery this week. They had a cancellation for a Tuesday surgery, and I took it! Sign me up--get this thing out so my life can get back to normal!!
The surgery was laporoscopic, and went very well. I'm at home recovering nicely. The best part of the experience--the funny things that I said while coming out of the anesthesia.
As soon as I woke up, Chris told me my friend Allison had her baby that morning and had texted us a picture. I was so excited! I tried so hard to focus on the picture on the phone. Then I passed out again. I woke up a few minutes later, and Chris asked me if I remembered that Allison had her baby. "Allison had her baby??" I said excitedly. And he showed me the picture again, and I was excited about it all over again. He said we did this about 6 times, and I was excited all over again every time.
Before the surgery we had been joking about Chris getting a text from his girlfriend. So afterwards, he asked me, "What's your boyfriend's name?" and I said, "You're a goofball. But you could tell me your girlfriend's name right now and I wouldn't remember it." Ha!
Once when the nurse was by the bed, I must have heard her say something about calling in some prescriptions. I woke up and said, "Medicine Shoppe, 893-7400" then passed out again.
The nurse also asked "Do you need a note to go back to work?" and I said, "No, not unless my kids want one." Who says I wasn't all with it? I was making jokes!
When we were leaving, I remember thinking, "How can they send me home in this drunken state? I'm not even awake yet!!" I was sitting in the wheelchair next to the van while Chris put my bags in. I asked, "Oh, did you remember my clothes?" (I had remembered that when I took them off they put them in a bag under my hospital bed.) Chris looked at me funny and I looked down and said, "Oh, I'm wearing them." Chris said the nurse was cracking up at that one. I asked Chris later how I got them on, and he told me I sat on the side of the bed and he helped me get dressed. I really don't remember that!!
Chris said we kept having the same conversations over and over again. I was trying so hard to wake up but I couldn't make myself do it. I don't like feeling that way! But it sure made for some funny stories!
1 comment:
hey, it's been awhile since i've gotten on the blog and didn't realize you were having all these issues! i'm glad you're doing better!
Post a Comment