Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Tribute to Oreo



My mom called me this morning, in tears, to tell me that Oreo is now in heaven. Oreo was her 13-year old Boston Bull mutt who is near and dear to both of our hearts. Oreo had a tumor in his mouth which was inoperable so Mom had to make the decision this morning to put him down. I know it was so hard for her, and I cried when she told me. In her words, "I'm still crying, wishing I'd had one more day, just a little notice, something; Oreo was with me through the thick and thin of [my trials in life]. ...Oreo became so protective of me, over the years, that I will not likely sleep well tonight, without him here."

I got Oreo in 1995 when I was in 10th grade. My friend Karla's brother had brought the dog home, and none of the other animals in the house liked Oreo because he STUNK! They were looking to get rid of him, and I fell in love with him! It turned out he had ear mites, and once those were cleared up, the smell went away and I had a precious, lively little puppy. I remember the Friday I got him--I DROVE to Karla's house, west down Goodman Road at 5 pm, with the sun beating down in my eyes. I was a new driver, still only had my learner's permit, and driving in rush hour traffic and blinding sun was one of the most stressful driving experiences I had ever had! (One of the ONLY driving experiences I had ever had at that point!) We picked Oreo up, and Mom drove home (thank goodness!), so I could hold my new puppy. That weekend I also got to try out rollerblading with my new friend Wes. I don't remember who all went, but about 4 of us spent all Sunday afternoon rollerblading through town, and I had a blast! It was a chilly late-winter day, and I ended up with strep throat a couple of days later! That is significant because the couple of days I spent home from school laid up on the couch, I got to bond with my new puppy. Oreo had a puppy's sense about me being sick, and he lay very still cuddling with me on the couch, and if you knew Oreo, you know that laying still was not really in his nature!

Oreo was a funny puppy--he was a boy, but for quite some time did not understand that he was supposed to lift his leg to pee--he squated like a girl dog! He also didn't know how to bark at first. It was the strangest sound that would come out when he would try to bark. It was at least a few months before he finally figured out barking. I think it is because Oreo thought he was a human. He could even talk! Many dogs who can talk say "mama"--but Oreo could also make "b" sounds! When he got to talking to you, it was not always clear what he was saying, but it was definitely human language coming out of his mouth!

Shortly after my first rollerblading experience, I got my own set of rollerblades. Oreo LOVED these. He was such a hard dog to walk--always pulled on the leash trying to run ahead. If he would walk next to you, he always pulled the least so taught that he would walk at an angle--I always joked that Oreo had not had his V8 that day! To be so small, he was incredibly stout and strong! So we got in the habit of going rollerblading together. I would strap on my rollerblades--when Oreo heard the clicking of the rollerblade buckle he would start going berzerk! He knew it was time to take a WALK! I would hook him to his leash and off we would go through the streets in our neighborhood. All I had to do was hold on and he would pull me all around as fast as he could run! Then we'd come home and poop out together on the couch!

I only got to play with Oreo like this for the first year of his life--after that Mom moved away and I stayed behind to finish at the school where I had grown up. From that point on, Oreo became Mom's dog and constant companion through many rocky times in her life. At one point they lived in Northern Indiana, and Oreo thought the snow was really strange! It would snow so deep that when he tried to go out the back door, it would be over his head! Sometime along the way Mom got another dog, a beautiful weimaraner named Silky. Silky and Oreo were like Mutt and Jeff--Oreo could stand upright beneath Silky! They were the best of friends, and Mom says that Silky is a bit confused as to why Oreo did not come home with her this morning. I am sure Silky will go through a mourning and adjustment period as well as Mom. My heart breaks for you today Mom, and mine is broken as well. We will all miss sweet little Oreo.

Silky and Oreo, anxiously awaiting an open gate


Some pictures from my visit to Indiana, Summer 1997


Silly Oreo liked to relax like this:


Mom and Oreo, giving his stately look


Me and Oreo, cuddling


Oreo, walking crooked, needing to drink some V8 (really he was leaning as far from the water as possible!)


Oreo was terrified of the big bowl of water (Lake Michigan) so our walk on the beach turned into me DRAGGING him...you can see the marks he was making on the sand!


We love you Oreo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nicole. That is a lovely tribute. Silky is very despondent, she is not interested in food, playing, even being patted or taking a walk.

I had forgotten about that weird dog license that Oreo had in Indiana...it looked like he had his own little American Express card.

Did you ever see him dance to the harmonica and sing the blues? That was something he began doing 6 or 7 years ago.

It's so quiet here.

Mom

Unknown said...

I gotta tell you a little about me, us and your mom. I used to chat at ivillage and she thought she was talking to a woman for like a year ...I wasnt there as a "man" i was just there having fun and chatting , when she found out i was a guy she was like OMG OMG... then i don't recall the conversation but she told me what she did for work as a real estate agent and i teased her that i would stop in there and say hi because i had been past there and knew where it was... so i can't remember if i suprised her or just told her i was coming up there and she was gonna go to lunch.. so i showed up with my wife and son on her birthday and we went to lunch. we kept in touch for awhile online then she moved and we lost touch. one day she sent me an email and we hooked back up and she said OMG OMG OMG all day that she found me again LOL. anyway we lost our dog too last year that we had for 14 years a rottwieler. we were very sad and we got another dog and we named him Oreo.. i can't say it was because of your mom's dog because the kids picked the name on there own. but i was excited to tell your mom what we named him.. I know your mom is very much saddened by the loss of Oreo. I just left her a message and i will try to call her over the weekend.