Saturday, August 30, 2008

Claire's musings

Claire has me completely blown away with her vocabulary! I wanted to record a few of the funny things she has said lately.

I was trying to get us dressed and ready one morning this week, and I called Claire to come back to her room. I was back there picking out her clothes, and she still hadn't come, so I called "Claire Elizabeth, get back here!" She still didn't come, too wrapped up in her TV show I guess, so I started toward the living room to call her again, "Claire! Come back here!" Just as I rounded the corner into the living room, she jumped up and started walking back to her room. She looked at me and innocently, but nervously, said, "Oh! I was supposed to come back here?" Oh how sly she is.

More of her sayings:

"It's too fit." -She says this when something doesn't fit, instead of saying "It's too big (or too small)."

Tonight she didn't want to ride a tricycle at a birthday party, proclaiming, "No, mommy, it's too ride-y." Huh?

Another phrase that makes me laugh is "Hold a second!" when she wants me to stop so she can do something.

Last night we got a letter in the mail from our sponsored child in Zambia. I was reading it to Aaron when Claire came in the room. "What's that Mommy? Is it a letter? Can I understand it?" Chris and I looked at each other, dumbfounded that she would use the word "understand". I asked her "Can you understand it?" She said, "Uh huh, Mommy, can I understand the letter?" She wanted me to read it to her if I felt she could understand it! Cracks me up!

I was talking with Chris's cousins today and we agreed that it's so hard to remember she's only two when we're talking to her. She understands everything we say and repeats stuff back to us with perfect understanding. She is a verbal phenomenon!

And I should note that this also means she talks incessantly. To herself, to her dolls, to Aaron. Even Aaron, when Claire has asked why one too many times, has been known to say, "Because it IS Claire. Stop asking so many questions!"

"Why?" she asks. Oh my. What we have to look forward to!

No comments: