Friday, August 15, 2008

I need ta go potty...

My kids have mastered the "I need ta go potty" excuse. You know, get out of something because nature calls. Or so they say.

Tonight at dinner Claire was whining that she was all done, although she had barely picked at her dinner. I told her the rest of the family wasn't done yet so she was going to have to sit there and wait, so she innocently batted her eyes and said, "But I need ta go potty!" Since she was wearing underwear, I of course let her out to go and somehow she took just long enough in the bathroom that we were all up from the table by the time she was done. Smooth, Claire. Next time I'll try not to be so gullible.

Meanwhile, Aaron's bedtime procrastinations are getting more and more hilarious. Tonight after dinner he and I had constructed an elaborate "parking garage" set-up in his room, trying to duplicate the features of a play parking garage he found in a toy catalog (car wash, gas station, car elevator, ramps). We left it all out for him to play with more tomorrow.

A while after I put him in bed for the night, we heard some banging around in the bathroom. We gave him a few minutes (mostly because we were lazily hoping he'd go back to bed without us intervening...), when Chris went to check on him and found him with the ENTIRE parking garage set up in the bathroom. When Chris rounded the corner Aaron jumped, froze, and quickly said, "I gotta go potty." Yeah, that's why you were out of bed. Right.





Note his favorite feature--the "zip line" from the door knob down to the elevator box! And the cars neatly lined up waiting to board the elevator! What a little engineer he is!

No comments: