Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The silver lining

It seems like with the circumstances I am in now, there wouldn't be alot to gush and be happy about. Call me an optimist--I am seeing the silver lining this morning.

Yesterday afternoon it became quite apparent that Grandma is on the edge of life. My mom and uncle came after lunch (I had been at her house since Sunday afternoon), and we held vigil all night. Every breath could be Grandma's last, and the waiting is almost unbearable.

In the midst of this, there are some things I am immensely thankful for!

*Grandma got to say her goodbyes to the world, and her friends got to tell her goodbye. Most people would struggled for months and years with an illness, but Grandma has only strugged for a month. What a blessing to have the best of both worlds--death is not totally unexpected, but not long and drawn out either.

*So many people love my dear Grandma and the cards, flowers, and calls have been pouring in. She worked at a UPS store up to the day before she went in the hospital (July 8th was her unbeknownst last day). So many box holders and other customers have sent cards. Think about your regular errands--if one of the employees at your regular stops was missing, would you think to ask about them? To get an address and send a card or flowers? Surely not, unless they made an impact and impression on your life. And that my Grandma did! In so many people's lives--and they have let her know. Some have even called specifically to "say goodbye." I have told her over and over these last weeks, "You have so many people who love you, Grandma!"

Then there are the people from Grandma's church. We called her pastor to come yesterday afternoon, and he called Katie, grandma's favorite singer at church. Katie came and sang a few songs at Grandma's bedside--In the Garden, Serenaded by Angels, and Beulah Land. Beautiful, and even though Grandma wasn't alert, I feel confident she heard and will thank Katie one day in heaven for singing to her one final time here on earth.

*My family is bonding! We have a small family. My Mom lives alone and we don't see her alot. She doesn't like to leave the comfort of her home very often. We have had some good hours together the last week. My uncle leads a busy life, with a wife who works nights as a nurse and four kids (2 grown but still dependent, 2 in elementary school)...so even though he lives just across town we don't see him very often either. It has been good to laugh and share stories with him.

*I have amazing friends. Last week two friends made meals for me, and more are coming this week--an invaluable service that cannot be underestimated. Several friends are picking up the slack I have left with the consignment sale at our church next week--I am the "technical" person--but I have discovered that the team is figuring out ways to get things done without my expertise (ha!). Last night I sent an e-mail asking for help and one of the guys jumped right on it and told me to stop worrying about it. Such a relief. I am so thankful for my friends.

*Chris's grandmother is LOVING keeping my kids. She has been keeping them full days lately, and she absolutely loves it. She just gushes about how good they are and how well they play and how great Claire is doing with her potty training and how Aaron loved his cheese toast. It is such a relief to know the kids are somewhere they are comfortable, secure, and loved. I don't think I could ever quite repay Mammaw for the blessing she has been these past 5 weeks.

I could go on and on...I am so incredibly blessed. Thank you Jesus!

3 comments:

Regina said...

Nicole, my heart goes out to your entire family. Your post was so touching and brought tears to my eyes. Your grandmother sounds like a very special and very loved lady. You have a lot of those traits. Keep seeing that silver lining. Sounds like she was the type of lady that would have wanted that.

Anonymous said...

this brought tears to my eyes. i have never met your grandma, but i KNOW she is a very special & wonderful woman and has blessed the lives of many. you have done such a wonderful job in caring for her during this time. hang in there. i'm thinking about you, and you remain in my prayers.

•kim

Amber said...

Wow, Nicole your strength for your Grandma and faith in God are beyond words.