It has been such a hard week. Shortly after my last post, my Grandma took her last breaths with me, my mom, my uncle, and his wife all around her bed, holding her hands and telling her to go on to glory. After she breathed that last breath, I realized she was really really gone, and I started bawling my eyes out.
I know she is no longer in pain. I know she is with Jesus. I take comfort in knowing she is seeing long lost friends and family.
But every time I think about the fact that I will never go shopping with her, eat dinner at her house, buy her presents for Christmas, or have her at my children's birthday parties again, I start to cry. I'm probably making you cry now and I'm sorry for that! I loved my Grandma so much and I just want her here with me, all better and by my side.
Last night was her visitation, and so many people showed up to offer condolances and tell her goodbye. It was truly amazing how many people were there. The funeral home had done a beautiful DVD tribute with pictures we had given them, and so many people enjoyed seeing her pictures.
Today at her funeral, her pastor told stories we had told him about her, and then preached the Gospel. One of her very good friends, Katie, sang Beulah Land and Serenaded by Angels. It was a good service, and remarkably I didn't cry until the graveside service was over.
What I'm having trouble coming to terms with is that now there is nothing to do but divide up her belongings and move on with life. And send lots of thank you cards. I guess it will get easier day by day.
Thank you to everyone who has offered kind words and support. I truly appreciate your friendship.
3 comments:
I am thinking and praying for you and your family.
Kelly
just wanted you to know that you're still in my thoughts and prayers. i know the coming weeks and months will be hard. it will seem as though everyone around you will just go on with their daily routines, but you won't want to move on...at least i didn't. i found that part hard. but it's all part of the process, and you get past it. and instead of "moving on" without your loved one, you carry them in your heart. everywhere you go.
kim.
I'm so sorry to hear about you grandmother!! I went through the same thing in February of this year. It DOES get easier...but of course no one will ever be able to fill that special place a grandmother holds! I'm praying for you!!! You have an incredible outlook....praising in the storm!!
Post a Comment