Grandma is still in the hospital--it will be four weeks on Wednesday. The doctors have told us there is nothing chemo will do to help her, and at this point we just need to make her comfortable. My uncle and I decided today that we will bring her home to her house--her little sanctuary--where hospice will help us take care of her until she passes away. One doctor today told us it could be a matter of weeks. Something tells me it may not be that long.
I have always known in the back of my mind that one day I would attend my Grandma's funeral. I never would have guessed it would have come so soon. Or so quickly, unexpectedly, like it has.
Grandma took such good care of me when I was in high school and college. I lived with her, and she took care of so many things--helping me buy my first car, finding my first real job, selecting a college, getting on my feet at college, helping me financially throughout college, planning my wedding with me, but most of all, being my friend. I always told her that she took good care of me, so one day I would take good care of her.
That time has come, and I am no where near prepared, but I am up to the task. I know God will give me strength, wisdom, energy, and resources.
Please pray for our family as this is going to be a very hard time. We will have to arrange for her care 24/7. We're going to spend much of our time at her house, but at least it is a place we can all be together and be comfortable. I can have my kids there (for brief periods) and I can prepare meals. I can work, once we set up high speed internet. (Thank the Lord for my flexible job--which I would not have if not for Grandma's neighbor telling me about it 12 years ago!) Pray we can find qualified, compassionate caretakers for times we are not able to be there.
Thank you so much for your prayers and concern.
5 comments:
i will ABSOLUTELY keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
she is SO VERY lucky to have you, nicole. SO lucky.
i can tell how loving of a woman she is simply by how compassionate you are with her care.
if we all were so lucky to have someone like you in their lives as we grow older.
(((hugs)))
reading this has made a big lump in my throat. i know exactly what you are going through. this is not easy at all. just having been through this same exact thing 3 months ago, please know that kristi and i are here for you. please know y'all are in my prayers. the Lord will provide strength.
•kim
nicole, i saw that you will be getting hospice care for your grandmother. i just wanted to recommend the Baptist Hospice out of Batesville, MS. they are the ones who helped us with paw paw. they were incredible! kristi or i can get more info from mom if you are interested. just let us know.
in our thoughts and prayers,
kim
hey nicole..kim has been reading your blog and filled me in on your grandmother's condition. i've been out of town and the last i heard in ss was she was just in the hospital..well i understand it's much worse now. like kim said we somewhat know what you are going through. we were at pawpaw's side till he took his last breath. hospice is wonderful, but i was glad we could actually be there for him too. i'm really sorry you are going through this..i know it's not easy to loose someone so close and i will definatly be praying for ya'll! eventhough in his last days pawpaw couldn't speak or respond in anyway, i cherished the moments of sitting by his bedside, holding his hand, and telling him everything he meant to me and how lucky i was to have him as long as i did..i know you'll do the same. knowing pawpaw was a strong christian was comforting.
can i do anything? i'd be happy to..cook, run errands, whatever i can do please don't hesitate!
kristi
Nicole, you are in my prayers and I hope you gain some peace and understanding during this time with your grandmother. My heart goes out to your family.
Post a Comment