Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Traditions, in memory of Grandma

Monday night was our church's annual Christmas Traditions dinner. Women in the church sign up to host a table, and decorate it with all their own dishes and centerpieces. The night is always so magical, with all the gorgeous tables to admire, so I always participate. This year I decided to do a different table, using my Grandma's china (which was actually her mother's!). I also used my other great-grandmother's silverware, and my Grandma's silver tea service. I used a table runner I found in Grandma's linens and put it all together quite beautifully!

I added a couple of pictures of Grandma and a written memorial to her so everyone would know the significance of the table. My sweet friend Leigha tied gorgeous napkin ring bows and each place setting had a bag of chocolate truffles to take home. Instead of just inviting my friends, I invited Grandma's friends and my mom to sit at the table with me. We had a wonderful night. I know Grandma would have loved it.






Me and Mom


Grandma's friend Evelyn and her daughter Jewel


Grandma's friends Joanne and Mary Wanda


I took pictures of nearly all of the tables, and here are a couple of notable ones!

Leigha's table was gorgeous! I was supposed to help her with it, but she ended up putting it together all on her own!


I liked the centerpiece on this one...


This one cracked me up. A couple of teenagers did it, and it had high-heeled shoes in the centerpiece!



And if you want to see all the tables I got pictures of, here's a slideshow with more of them!

6 comments:

Amber said...

What an honor to your Grandma. The table is beautiful. I'm so glad you thought of doing this.

Anonymous said...

mom was telling me about your table and how special it was. what an honor. i know your grandma would've loved it. what a special thing to do in her honor, and inviting her friends. beautiful!

kristi and mom told me it was loads of fun. wish i could've been there.

kim.

Sophie-and-Bryce said...

GORGEOUS, nicole. what a sweet and loving idea!!!

i love the embroidered runner. the blue is very pretty, too.

i know her friends thought it was wonderful, too. you're such a sweet woman, nicole.

Regina said...

Nicole, what an amazing way to remember your Grandma. I'm sure it was hard but wonderful too being able to celebrate her memory with her friends.

Amy said...

What a great idea...I bet the ladies were touched and your grandma was smiling in Heaven.
The table looked so nice.
What a special night.

LNo said...

Absoulutely beautiful!