Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Camping, day one

I'll begin by saying that I really wish we camped more. We have got to start taking advantage of those open weekends with beautiful weather and pack up to go camping! We waited and waited to go camping until finally the weekend we picked was going to have COLD overnight temps. But we really wanted to brave it and go anyway.

Thursday night we went to Walmart to buy a few supplies and food, and I decided to get a sleeping bag. What a great $21 investment! The sleeping bag I bought was rated down to 30 degrees so I stayed nice and toasty in the 45 degree temps! Chris just used the blankets we always used and he was cold. Poor guy! He'll be buying a sleeping bag for the next trip! The kids had about 15 blankets on top of them and told us they didn't get cold!

It took us about 3 hours to pack the truck and gear on Friday morning, and we looked like the Clampits with all of our stuff packed in. I wish I had a picture of that. Luckily it was only a 45 minute drive to our campground.

The kids "helped" with the tent for a few minutes until Chris got frustrated with them and I took them down to the playground to get out of the way!




Claire just loved this tire swing!


Aaron talked about the missing rungs on the jungle gym all weekend.


Once the tent was up the kids had a blast running in it.


Aaron said he was ready to go fishing, so down to the lake we went.


Claire took her bubbles.


Aaron got a lesson in how to bait a hook.


Then he lost interest and started gathering acorns with Claire.



They filled his pockets and apparently he never dumped them out because every one of them ended up in my washer and dryer when we got home!


We took a family picture!


We had hot dogs, chips, and s'mores for dinner!




After dinner the kids were tired and kept asking to go to bed. They were so excited to sleep in a tent! There was some giggling for a little while, but then they got quiet and Chris and I enjoyed the evening by the fire.

More later---I got some great pictures on day 2!

3 comments:

Sophie-and-Bryce said...

Where did you guys go? I've been ITCHING to go camping, but I'm afraid we've waited too long, too.

I was *raised* goin' campin'!

Cute pics!!!

Amber said...

Ah, this looks like a refreshing change of pace.

Anonymous said...

how FUN! great pics!

kim.