I had told Aaron his toy had to be small and couldn't cost too much. He had already seen the toy selection so he knew exactly what he wanted--a GIANT Fisher Price parking garage. It was only $5, was very clean, and he was smitten with the tow truck that came with it. So I caved and he brought it home. (Below is a picture I snagged off of Ebay--this one is missing the cool drawer that holds the cars! You see, it's not exactly small.)

Later that evening when the consignors arrived, my friend Pam looked heartbroken that the item she was going to buy for her boys was not there--the parking garage! I told her Aaron took it home already, but I honestly did not have room for it. She said her boys had a smaller parking garage she would be happy to give to Aaron. So we arranged a trade to happen once the "new" had worn off for Aaron.
So today I realized the new was long gone, so I called up Pam and asked if she was still interested in the trade. She was excited, saying her boys ask about the big garage all the time.
Hooray! Aaron, Claire, and I spent the morning cleaning out toys--something I had wanted to do for a while. I have a large bag of Mega Blocks, 3 sets of Mr. Potato Heads (crazy!), a Baby Leap Pad, some books and puzzles, and a variety of other items all bagged up for donation or storage until the spring consignment sale.
As a side note, Claire was cracking me up saying, "That doesn't de-blong," when she thought something didn't "belong". She is so funny!
After lunch today, Pam brought the "new" (smaller) garage over and the boys traded, Aaron was soooo thrilled. He said, "It's just what I always wanted for Christmas, but it didn't come on Christmas. It came today!" (Here's the new garage, again snagged from Ebay, and this one has a bunch of Little People that we don't have...but we have tons of LP from other sets so it's all good!)

This concept of a "new" toy being so exciting makes me wonder if anyone has ever thought to set up a toy exchange program where each child gets a toy for a month before trading it off for a different one from another kid. I think something like that would be a big hit!
2 comments:
I think that is a MOST excellent idea! My kids are slightlhy older than yours, so I would be happy to just give you some stuff. I recently cleaned out a bunch, but I am sure by Christmas, I will need to get rid of more. I will keep you posted.
That sounds great kelly! thanks!
Post a Comment