I can't help but notice how much Aaron is like his Daddy. I mentioned in my last post that Chris is a genius. Aaron seems to be following the same path. (I know...I sound like such a proud bragging mama but I promise it's true! He he he!)
There is no doubt Aaron will one day be an engineer. He is very analytical and technical. He tries to figure out how things work and asks so many questions about how things work. I remember Chris telling me about taking apart their toaster when he was younger trying to figure out how it worked (or maybe he was fixing it? He's into appliance repair, you know!).
One of Aaron's favorite things to watch? "Factories." That's what he calls all the shows that Chris turns on in the evenings after dinner..."How Stuff Works" and "How It's Made" on the Science Channel are big hits. Also "Modern Marvels" and "Time Warp", and other similar shows on Discovery. We also like to tune into "Unwrapped", "Food Detectives", and "How'd That Get On My Plate" on Food Network. Aaron will set mezmerized as he watches a machine chop corn or a factory make car bumpers.
My boys are both math whizzes. Chris never ceases to amaze me with the math he can do in his head. I think Aaron will be the same way--a couple of nights ago he did 17-12 in his HEAD at the dinner table. He was trying to figure out how many days until the 17th, and he said, "Today is 12 so cross out the 12...13 is one, 14 is two, 15 is three, 16 is four, and 17 is five. Five days!" Chris and I were floored. We asked him who taught him to figure it out like that, and he said "Nobody..." like we were crazy or something. Doesn't everyone know how to do math in their head?
He also could be sustained on PB&J. I'm serious--sometimes he asks for it for breakfast. I could serve it three meals a day and I think he'd be perfectly happy. I have been thinking about Aaron starting kindergarden in the fall, and I asked Chris if he ate cafeteria food or brought his lunch when he was growing up. He said, "Brought it, PB&J every day." For years. He seems to need no variety, and Aaron is much the same way! Aaron WILL eat his veggies though...he loves broccoli! Chris won't go near it.
Today Aaron told me, "Mommy, if I'm going to be an engineer one day, I will have to go to Walmart or some other store to buy some hunting supplies." I tried to explain to him that engineers don't necessarily hunt, and he said, "Yes they do!" Well, yes, but other people do too...it was a losing argument with him. Hopefully he will enjoy hunting like Chris does!
Aaron also tends to play alone in social situations. He is not as likely to run and romp with the boys as he is to find something to put together or take apart in a corner of the room. I have to believe Chris was like that as a child. I heard that Chris's uncle said that Aaron is so much like Chris when he was younger.
Often I will worry about how Aaron will do in school, if he will fit in or be too advanced and get bored...and as I'm rambling on about my concerns, Chris will say, "What? Are you afraid he's going to turn out like me?"
Well...no. That would actually be a very good thing!
3 comments:
Cody likes the same programs that Chris and Aaron watch. Dirty jobs is a favorite too.
Cute and sweet story on your men folk.
Maybe you can send your genius fix-it guys to my house to fix my broken dishwasher????? Yep, sounds like it's a definite case of "like father, like son"! But, like you said, that's a good thing! And he'll be fine in school, don't you worry. He'll find his own way of doing things and it will be just perfect. Hard to believe kindergarten is right around the corner!
gosh...i remember chris always bringing pb&j to the field house EVERY DAY!!!! how funny
Post a Comment