Sunday, January 25, 2009

The oven saga...good news and bad news...

Thursday night Aaron and I were so excited...the oven parts had come in the mail! When Chris opened the small box I was shocked at how many parts he had gotten for just $8. He looked through them, telling me "This is a transistor", and "This is a capacitor." It all flew right over my head. I'm not even sure I just spelled those words right.

The next morning he took the little oven control board to work with him, along with the parts. He needed equipment at his office to actually fix the board.

Friday night after dinner (which I prepared on the stovetop...), he installed the new control board. He asked me, "When you push the bake button, what temperature does it start at?" I told him 350, and wondered why he asked me that question.

A few minutes later he triumphantly announced that the oven temperature was 350!! Hooray! Unfortunately, he had dropped the control board in the garage that morning and some tiny little bulb was broken off, so now the oven display doesn't work. It's just blank. Which means that yes, I can get my oven to 500, but I have no idea what temperature I'm actually setting it at since the temperature setting was part of the display screen. So I can turn it on and hit the up arrow a few times, trying to guess that maybe 5 clicks would be 425...or maybe that's 475? Luckily I have an oven thermometer but playing guesswork with my oven setting is just not going to cut it.

Can you BELIEVE Chris was actually able to FIX the board...but then he broke it? We are just in disbelief at this turn of events.

So, since the display is not fixable, we have ordered a refurbished board from Sears and it will be here next week. All of this was an exercise in trusting my husband. I really didn't think he would be able to fix the board with all those tiny little pieces. I just knew we'd be at Lowe's or Home Depot on Saturday ordering a new oven. But let me tell you, that guy is one smart cookie and he knew what he was talking about!

The good news is that I was able to bake cinnamon rolls and muffins this weekend! I'm looking for dinner recipes for this week that can be cooked at 350, since that's my only sure-fire temp right now! And I am so happy we're not having to shell out $1000+ for a new oven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY for the handy dandy toolman coming through! :)

kim.