I know you're all dying to know how the garage sale went. It was fun, and quite successful!
We spent a few hours Thursday night getting it all organized. My garage was JAM PACKED with stuff. It was overwhelming and amazing to see all that stuff. And sad--whoda thunk we had so much stuff in our closets and attics?
Saturday morning we were in the garage by 5:45 getting everything out...and had customers by 6:30! The morning flew by and we had a great time, laughing at the funny things customers would buy. There was this one glass speckled-y looking fish that Christi joked she would pay someone $1 if they decided to buy it. She chickened out when someone actually wanted it pretty early in the day--but she couldn't help snickering when she took the lady's quarter! It was funny because the lady was pretty excited about it.
We had fun haggling with people--I told Christi, "Say we have it marked $5, and they offer $3. Even if $3 is okay, say -- 'How 'bout $4?' and they almost always take it!" It was fun to see that work!
Toward the end of the morning we started making sales pitches on some items we really didn't want to hang on to. One girl was buying my purple shoes that I wore in a wedding, so I pointed out the dress they matched and managed to get them to buy that one and two other dresses! One lady was looking at my Mardi Gras masks and feather boa, and I made sure she knew I bought those IN New Orleans, so they were "authentic". She just laughed! It's true though!
We finished at 11:30, just as it was starting to storm. We made over $550, divided between Christi, me, and three other family members. I came out of the deal with a whopping $65, but it's good considering I didn't really have all that much stuff in the sale (most of it was Christi's). Most of my stuff was marked $.50 or $1, with a fewer higher priced items thrown in there. I can find something fun to do with an extra $65, for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment