Today was such a hard day. I'm sure the next few will not be any easier.
My BELOVED grandma has been in alot of pain the last 2-3 weeks. Thinking she might having walking pneumonia, she went to see her doctor last Monday. He did a chest x-ray, saw "something going on" and sent her for a CT scan on Wednesday. She was left in suspense and pain all weekend, and finally had her follow-up appointment today. Yesterday when we spoke she was insisting on driving herself, and even going to work after her appointment. (Yes, she's 76 and she still works, at a UPS store...she could never sit at home!)
This morning I got a call that she had gotten worse during the night and needed me to take her to her appointment. I was so relieved when she called me, because I felt like she was overdoing it. But there is only so much you can do with a stubborn independent woman like she is. So I got Chris's grandmother to come babysit and went to pick up Grandma.
It was no surprise when her doctor decided to admit her to the hospital. We still don't know what is going on in her lung. Her doctor mentioned "maybe something malignant" which scares me so bad. It is possible she has pneumonia. She feels absolutely horrible, and she told her doctor he had two choices: get her back on her feet again, or put her out of her misery. He said he hoped to do both, in a good way!
Tomorrow she has a full CT scan for which she has to drink barium, which she is dreading. She also has a scope in which they are going to attempt to biopsy the spots in her lung and the enlarged lymph nodes they see. We won't know anything until they do that, I guess. The waiting and wondering is so hard.
My grandma is one of strongest, most amazing women I know, and it breaks my heart to see her hurting. When I lived with her through part of high school and all of college, I vowed that I would take care of her the way she took care of me. I am so thankful for a flexible job and ready-access to babysitters so I can be there for my grandma!
4 comments:
Nicole, I'm sorry to hear your Grandmother is in so much pain. Hopefully, the doctors will have an answer for you all soon. We'll pray for good news. I'll keep you all in my prayers.
sending you tons of thoughts and prayers. stay strong, girl.
((hugs))
Nicole,
You are such a stong woman, but I know it hurts you so bad to see you grandmother in pain. I will be praying for ya'll. Call me if there is anything that I can do for ya'll.
nicole, i will be praying for you and your grandmother. we just lost paw paw 2 months ago, and i know it's hard...the dr. visits, hospital, waiting, worrying, etc. take it one day at a time. you're doing the best thing you can do, and that is just being there for her. you're in my prayers. keep us updated. -kim
Post a Comment