Many of you have asked, and I really appreciate everyone's concerns and prayers. This has been the hardest 3 weeks of my life, hands down. My poor kids have been passed from one babysitter to another and Chris has been trying to take care of things at home. It's so hard trying to be at the hospital for hours every day, and still take care of my family. I am so grateful for the help I have gotten from people, especially Chris's grandmother who tirelessly cares for my children.
Grandma is not doing well at all. It's so hard to remember that three weeks ago, she WALKED into the hospital. She went to work the DAY BEFORE. Now she cannot wipe her bottom and can barely eat on her own.
It took two weeks in the hospital to get a diagnosis. She has lung cancer. Two days after we found out that, a bone scan showed she also has cancer in her bones, specifically on her spine and in both hips. She started radiation that same day, and has had three treatments so far. They have ordered 14 daily treatments and then we will see if her pain has subsided.
She is in soooo much pain. I heard that bone cancer is one of the most painful forms of cancer. The oncologist told me today it is stage 4 cancer. It is aggressive, which is obvious when you see the decline she has had in just three short weeks. (Short! Ha! These weeks have been LONG.)
It's possible the aggressive factor could work to our advantage. If she is able to do chemo, it's POSSIBLE it could kill the cancer as quickly as it grew. I have a feeling that is grasping onto fine hairs, though, and I honestly have trouble hoping for that.
Right now the doctors have her in an isolation room where we have to wear masks and the room has it's own air system, because they found a bacterial infection in her lungs that could be tuberculosis. They don't really think it is, but they have to do this as a precaution while they run more tests on the culture they have. She won't be cleared for trying chemo until that infection is identified and under control.
My uncle and I talked to her doctors today. The goal right now is keeping her comfortable. They are continuing the radiation until Grandma says she wants no more (the treatments have made her sick so far). She will have to decide if she wants to try chemo. We talked about hospice, about keeping her final days (if these are her final days) pain-free and surrounded by friends and family.
Thank you again for your prayers and support. I will continue to update as things change.
4 comments:
Your family, especially Grandma, are in my prayers.
Hugs
Amber
Sorry to hear the latest on you grandma. Stay strong. I'll keep you all in my prayers.
I pray for your grandma and family every night. I hope she feels better. She is lucky to have a considerate and loving granddaughter like you.
nicole, i hate to hear how things have declined so quickly. i know there are many around you with love and support. hang in there. i know what you're going through, and it's not easy. you & your grandmother are in my thoughts and prayers. keep us updated when you can.
•kim
Post a Comment