My little boy is growing up! This becomes more apparent to me every day. I'm happy to see him blossom but I really just want to keep him little and dependent on me.
Our neighbors across the street have a 3-year-old grandson, Jordan, who spends every weekend at their house. Jordan is painfully shy, but his grandad says he talks a blue streak until Aaron or I show up. He talks a big game about playing with Aaron, but then hides behind his grandad's leg when Aaron is around.
Aaron is apparently polar opposite. He relishes in the opportunity to go play with other kids, although really what he wants to do is go play with their toys. Even Claire frequently tells me "I like Jordan, Mommy." She likes the idea of socializing.
A couple of weeks ago it was really hot outside, and the boys were playing in the yard. Jordan wanted to go inside, so they invited Aaron to come play too. It was the first time we'd been inside their house to play. I sat and talked with Jordan's grandmother for a while, but then I had to leave for the hospital. Aaron wasn't ready to go, so they said he could stay and play. I told them to bring Aaron back over to Chris when they were done playing.
Four hours later, I called Chris and he told me Aaron was STILL at Jordan's. They were having the best time!
Today at lunch Jordan came and rang the doorbell. Aaron stuffed the rest of his grilled cheese in his mouth and said, "All done!" He was so excited to get invited to go play. He came out and started chattering to Jordan about watermelon and grilled cheese. Jordan just hid behind his grandad's leg, but then they bopped into the house together. I saw them later playing with the toy tools in the garage.
I've got bittersweet emotions about this milestone--playing with the neighborhood kids. Making friends. Without Mommy. Excuse me while I go have a good cry.
No comments:
Post a Comment