Thursday, May 8, 2008

Aaron is such a sponge!

Wednesday night Aaron and Daddy were having a conversation about Daddy's work. Aaron said that he works at his house, and he works on elevators like Daddy does. This lead to a conversation about elevators, and Chris asked Aaron, “Do you remember when we went to the beach and got to ride in the elevator to our condo?” (This was last September.)

Aaron said, “Yeah!”

“Do you remember which number you hit to get to our condo?” Daddy asked.

“18!” Aaron exclaimed.

I can hardly believe he remembered the floor number, from over 8 months ago! It makes me wonder what things he is experiencing now that will stay in his long-term memory. They says kids start remembering things from 3 or 4 years of age, right?

This is exciting and scary! What things am I doing wrong that he is going to remember on a shrink’s couch in 20 years? What am I doing right?

Yesterday I showed him an index card on which I had written his new memory verse, Hebrews 13:16. I pointed to each word as I read it and was getting him to say it with me. Within 3 times of doing that, he had it memorized! It was the neatest thing to see him looking at that card and “reading” the verse from memory!

We also go to apply the verse yesterday. He had a sudden meltdown when he was looking for one of his old ride-on toys, and we reminded him that he had chosen one ride-on toy to keep and we sold the other two in the consignment sale last month. (Our house was so crowded with all those ride-on toys!!) He had been okay with it then, even excited, but suddenly last night he wanted that one particular riding toy for a game he was playing, and he started crying. Chris reminded him, “What does your Bible verse say? ‘Don’t forget to share with others.’ You had to share your toy with another kid who needed it.” He stopped sobbing, but was still upset about it, and I reminded him of some of the fun toys he got in exchange at the consignment sale, like his gas pump and the Elmer book, and he was happy about that. It was just neat to be able to apply the verse he started learning that same day!

Here is Aaron reciting his verse, with Claire talking in the background. Her little voice makes me smile in this one!

1 comment:

Woodman said...

Adorable!! I love Claire saying, "Take a picture of me!" Ha!!!