We hae tons of venison sausage in the freezer that I have been trying to find creative ways to use. I Googled "sausage recipes" a few nights ago and found this one that I tried last night. It was really good! I used some of our "mild sage" flavored sausage, which is typically a breakfast sausage, but I think this casserole would have been just as good if not better with some sweet Italian sausage. It also could be made with ground beef but probably wouldn't be as flavorful. Maybe if you added something to the beef--like taco seasoning...hmmmm...might try that!
The kids loved this dish--the macaroni and cheese was right up Claire's alley, and Aaron is a sausage fiend. Oh, and I served it with corn on the cob. The kids love that too!
http://southernfood.about.com/od/sausagerecipes1/r/bl30207l.htm
Sausage casserole with macaroni and cheese
INGREDIENTS:
8 ounces macaroni, uncooked
1 pound bulk sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
PREPARATION:
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions; drain and set aside. In a skillet, sauté sausage, onion, and green bell pepper. Pour off excess fat; add flour and salt, blending well.
Gradually add milk. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in macaroni and 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese.
Transfer macaroni and sausage casserole mixture to a lightly greased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheese over sausage casserole; bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes.Sausage and macaroni casserole serves 4 to 6.
No comments:
Post a Comment