The last several days have been very trying with Aaron. After talking to friends we think it's an age thing--he has been into EVERYTHING. It seems like every time I turn around he is destroying something or getting into something that he knows is off-limits. Monday it was bubble stuff all over the backyard, playing with new light bulbs, raiding the M&M's. Tuesday when his babysitter was cleaning up lunch he got 1/2 a bottle of hand soap all over himself, Claire, and the bathroom. I could go on and on.
I knew these were things I could not just shrug off, saying "He's just being a mischevious kid." He knew good and well those things were wrong, but for some reason he just kept testing those limits. He got spankings when appropriate, but obviously something wasn't getting through. I was getting angrier and angrier with him, raising my voice more than I care to admit.
Finally Tuesday afternoon after some crying on my part (and his), and a long talk with a friend, I decided it was time to introduce Aaron to GROUNDING. For the rest of that day and the whole next day, he could watch NO videos or TV. If Claire was watching something, he would have to stay in his room. He wailed and sobbed Tuesday afternoon while she watched Caillou and he had to stay in his room. I told him he could watch videos again on Thursday, so Wednesday morning he woke up and asked me "What day is it, Mommy?" When I told him "Wednesday," he said to himself, "Today is the day I can't watch TV or videos." So he definitely got it! And the day went so much smoother. We did stay busy to avoid a lot of whining about watching TV (mostly from Claire!), but I think he understood the punishment.
I re-read parts of James Dobson's book Dare to Discipline and it was a great refresher. The big lesson for me was that you can't control a child with anger! You've got to hit them where it hurts--sometimes with an actual spanking, and sometimes with a privelege. I'm glad to know I've got another arrow in my motherhood quiver--grounding! Hopefully we won't have to use it much.
No comments:
Post a Comment