I hate to divulge a bunch of details about Aaron's medical problems right now, because they are somewhat personal. But I could really use some prayers and advice right now.
Aaron goes to the bathroom all the time. I remember my mom saying that my brother had to "test the plumbing" everywhere we went, so I just figured that he likes to look at the bathrooms everywhere we go. Last summer the pediatritian mentioned that his hole might be too small, causing his bladder to not completely empty. He suggested seeing a urologist. I put it off and put it off...telling myself he was just a normal boy. A couple of weeks ago we were at a restaurant for lunch, and Aaron had to go four times! It was ridiculous--and I realized he was not just going because he wanted to--he would have rather been playing in the play area, not taking constant breaks to pee. So I made the appointment with a pediatric urologist.
We went yesterday and I've been in knots ever since the appointment. He recommended a simple surgery to fix the problem. I just don't want to put my little boy through that surgery! I don't think the recovery is that bad, but I guess I'm trying to convince myself that he doesn't actually need the surgery. If I could somehow know without a doubt that he needs it, I will definitely let him have the surgery.
This morning at mother's day out I was telling a friend about it, and she had me go down the hall to talk to her mom about it, because her brother had it done when he was little. My friend's mom was telling me about how simple the procedure is, and explained to me the things she noticed that made her realize there was a problem. It was a very reassuring talk and I'm thanking God for giving me that opportunity to talk to her.
Today his mother's day out teacher did a bathroom log for me, and for the 5 hours Aaron was there, he went to the bathroom six times. SIX.
So please just pray for us as we make this decision about how to proceed. If you have any advice or reassuring words, please leave me a comment!
4 comments:
Nicole,
I will definitely be praying for ya'll.
Nicki, if it helps any, I tried like crazy to convince myself that your ears were going to be just fine; you can only lie to yourself for so long. I know the thought of someone cutting on your precious one is mortifying, because I thought I was going to DIE sending you into surgery, but you have to think of the ramifications if NOT getting the surgery. The kids will make fun of him, the teachers will think he is lying, and he may start having accidents if he tries to conform to the school's schedule. You can't put him through that sort of humiliation, and loss of self esteem. Aaron thrives on his ability to achieve and accomplish whatever he tries with superior skill; imagine what this problem would mean to that part of his psyche.
I'll be happy to hold your hand and help you cry; but afterward, you will feel like a better mom.
MOM
Nicole, we have been through so much with Sophie that I totally understand your hesitation. I was more terrified of the anesthesia than the actual surgery! But rest assured that if it improves Aaron's quality of life, it is worth it! We will be praying for your family!
Nicole,
I will pray for the decision you and Chris have to make and for your precious children. I know you will make the right decision because you trust in the Lord and he will not steer you wrong.
Love
Amber
Post a Comment