Monday, May 19, 2008

Beef Stroganoff with Noodles...a pictoral


This is a real man-pleasing dish that I make regularly. It's got a great beefy flavor with a hint of mushrooms (don't worry...Chris just picks them out!). Even Aaron enjoys his stroganoff! I usually serve it with a pan of Jiffy cornbread and steamed green beans with lemon pepper. Looks scrumptious, doesn't it?

When I was growing up I remember my mom making stroganoff, so when I got married and started cooking for my own family, I turned to my trusty Pillsbury Complete Cookbook for a recipe to get me started. If you don't have one of these kinds of cookbooks (Pillsbury, Better Homes & Gardens, whoever!), GET ONE! They're the best!


Here is the recipe--notice it's a bit spotted from being open on this page a good bit.


First, start with some beef cut into strips. I usually buy some sort of thin cut beef at the store, but on this night I was trying something different--tenderized venison. This would be the same as cubed beef steaks in the store, usually used for country fried steak, and the tenderized effect made this meat LOOK a bit like ground beef. But the flavor was wonderful--I honestly couldn't tell I was eating venison. I even asked Chris if he was sure the processer had put venison in that package because it surely tasted like beef!

But I digress...here is my appetizing raw meat, cut into 1 inch strips. This is more than I usually have--you only need about a pound. I just adjusted the recipe as I went to allow for the extra meat.


I also diced half an onion...


Before I started cooking, I got out some of my ingredients. I'm just not organized enough to get it ALL out at the beginning. So this is not everything.


Start by melting 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic...YES, I use jarred garlic. Don't judge me. I don't like to chop garlic. Dump in your onions and canned mushrooms. This recipe would be WAY better with fresh mushrooms, but since I'm the only one who doesn't pick out the mushrooms, and fresh mushrooms are expensive, and I'm on a budget...I get the canned ones. I drain them before adding them to the pan.


Cook the onion mixture until the onions are transluscent,


...then transfer the mixture to a bowl.


Add another tablespoon or two of butter to the pan...no need to wipe it clean first.


Add your raw meat. Don't worry, it won't be raw for long!


Meanwhile, your water should be boiling by now. Oh wait, did I forget to mention you should have a pot of water heating to a boil? Okay yeah, I forget sometimes too and don't get it started until the stroganoff is almost done. But if you're super-organized, then you get the water boiling before you start cooking the meat. Then while the meat is cooking, you can add your egg noodles.



This recipe is all about multi-tasking. While your meat is browning and filling your kitchen with a wonderful aroma, get out more ingredients for a thickening sauce. Take about 1/3 cup of the beef broth and put it in a small cup that has a tight-fitting lid. Get out your flour. Don't forget to stir your meat around in the pan. And hop on one foot. And recite the Pledge of Allegiance. And break up a fight between your children.


Put about 3 tablespoons of flour into the broth...


...put on the lid and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE...SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE...SHAKE YOUR BOOTY...yes it's okay to dance while you're cooking!


When you're done making a fool of yourself and making your kids laugh, chase them back out of the kitchen and turn around to your meat--it should be about done!


If you're using beef, you may have some fat to drain. But venison has virtually no fat, so I have nothing to drain! Now you can add your mushroom mix back to the beef (or venison!), then pour in some of the beef broth. I never use the whole can--I'd say I started with about a cup then see how much more liquid it needs. Also squirt a couple of tablespoons of ketchup into it.


Stir it all up and let it simmer for a few minutes. If it's looking like it needs a little more liquid (this one did, I had more meat than I usually use), add more of the beef broth.


Once it's good and heated, you can slowly add your flour mixture. I never use all of it either, I just pour in a little at a time and stir it up until the sauce has the right thickness. I don't like it too thick, and if it's too thin it just gets all messy on your plate. And no one likes stroganoff sauce rolling over into their green beans, right?



This looks just about right...


Next comes the best ingredient of all...sour cream!


I just love sour cream. It's just so...creamy... Add it to the pan, and stir it up. The recipe says "DO NOT BOIL" in big capital letters at this step. I don't know what the big deal is...sometimes I'm not paying enough attention and it does boil and it's never really made a difference. I think the point is not to overcook it once you've added the sour cream.


When it's done it looks like a wonderfully beefy, creamy mixture just begging to lie atop some noodles.


You did finish the noodles right? Oh, well, don't let them overcook and get all mushy. Drain them and add a tablespoon of butter to keep them moist, and maybe some parsley if you're feeling fancy.

Mmmmmm...stroganoff united with noodles and side dishes...so happy together!


Beef Stroganoff with Parsley Noodles

8 oz medium egg noodles
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
3 Tbsp margarine or butter
1 (8-oz) pkg fresh whole mushrooms, sliced
½ c chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch strips
1 can beef broth
2 Tbsp ketchup
½ tsp salt, if desired
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream

Cook noodles to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain. Add parsley and 1 Tbsp margarine, toss to combine. Cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp of the remaining margarine. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Remove mushroom mixture; set aside.

In same skillet, melt remaining 1 Tbsp margarine. Add beef; cook and stir until browned. Reserve 1/3 cup of the beef broth. Add remaining broth, ketchup, salt, and mushroom mixture to skillet; mix well.

In small jar with tight-fitting lid, combine reserved beef broth and flour; shake well to blend. Gradually add to beef mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened. Stir in sour cream; cook until thoroughly heated. Do not boil. Serve over parsley noodles.

**Nicole’s Notes: I usually shortcut with canned sliced mushrooms and minced garlic in a jar. I don’t always use all of the beef broth—I add maybe half, then see how thick the sauce is, then add more as needed, so the sauce doesn’t get too runny. I almost always serve this with cornbread and green beans.

3 comments:

Sophie-and-Bryce said...

You are cracking me up with the photo tutorial! Sounds JUST LIKE something I'd do (and have done) Hahaha! This looks really good! (And I LOVE your witty 'isms' throughout -- they really "hit home.")

Momma! said...

Okay... Those pictures of that meat look absolutely disgusting at 12:18 in the morning. I guess that is because I don't eat meat, but stick with pictures of the kids or yummy desserts(maybe not b/c that would make me hungry). Ha!

Lisa said...

Great tutorial! I will have to try this recipe!