Monday, May 12, 2008

Thankful for Mothers

I had a wonderful mother's day weekend--I hope you did as well! I got to see my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law for lunch on Friday, have a nice lunch with Chris and the kids at church on Sunday, and a relaxed dinner with my mother and grandmother Sunday night. I am so very blessed to have so many wonderful women in my life, besides my actual mother, who have influenced me and deserve to be honored as well.

My own mother, of course, taught me many things. She taught me to value true beauty and to do things for myself. I can't tell you how many things I asked her growing up, to which she would respond, "Look it up!" Thankfully I have Google now so that is alot easier than looking through a dusty encyclopedia! I value my mother's opinion and friendship to this day.

My grandmother was like a mother to me during my college years. I lived with her during my senior year of high school and came "home" to her house during college, and she was such an influence over me. She has taught me the value of financial responsibility and hard work. She is 76 years old and still works 4 days a week! She is not one to have idle hands. She is also the strongest lady I have ever known--the last couple of years have been very hard for her, and I think I would have been committed by now. But she holds on strong and refuses to let fear get her down!

My mother-in-law has been a great example to me of a praying wife and mother. Emmie is a prayer warrior like no other I know--and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was praying for me, her son's future wife, from my infancy, even though she didn't know my name. I firmly believe that many circumstances in my life were direct answers to the prayers of that Godly woman.

My aunt was such a doting "mother" figure when I had my children. Ginger just loves babies, and she was a great resource when I was pregnant, during delivery, and after the babies were born. When both of my children were newborns, she is the only one I felt completely confident leaving my children with, because she is so very good with babies. It was wonderful to have her in my life during that time. She is also fun to talk with about girl stuff--decorating and crafting--which my own mother is admittedly not into!

I also had some wonderful women mentor me during my teenage and college years. During high school, my Sunday school teacher Julie was such an example to me. She was so fun and easy to talk to. My youth minister's wife, Bonita, was so bold to tell us what was right and wrong when the world makes things so fuzzy. She told me flat out what she thought about things, and how God feels about things, which is what every teenager needs to hear (even if they don't admit it then)!

Also during high school, I moved in with a friend's family for a year when my mom moved away, so I could finish at the school where I grew up. The Marshalls were the most profound influence in my life. I got to see how a NORMAL family was supposed to function. My mom was in a toxic marriage at the time and life was in turmoil. I got to step out of that situation and into a family where there was no yelling, everyone loved one another, and everyone was following the Lord. I got to see how a husband should relate to his wife, and vice versa, and how children should act toward their parents and other adults. I think that year of my life shaped me more than any other! Thank you Bro. Wayne, Mrs. Susan, Jessica, and Joy!

During college I had a wonderful discipler, a lady named Allison who was on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ. Allison led Bible studies and showed me practical ways to share my faith, reach out to other women, and walk with Christ. She and I became such good friends, were in each others' weddings, and she is still an example to me today.

There are many other women (and men!) who have shaped my life--too many to list! This is such a great reminder of the influence we can have in another person's life by just getting involved with someone and loving them. A great reminder for me that I'm not just in this life to live each day, but to make a difference. And that can be done--look how these women made a difference in my life!

No comments: