This morning I successfully rolled out of bed, got a shower, and got to have some quiet time with God before Aaron was up! Hooray! And I got just the Word I needed. My devotion today was titled "Divine Interruptions". The idea is that we can be going along in life with our own plans, but sometimes God has something different in mind so we need to be open to these "divine interruptions".
The last sentence of the devotion said, "The eternal value of serving God far outweighs the worldly value of completed tasks and achievements."
Wow. Talk about exactly what I needed to hear after yesterday's post about feeling so behind in everything I had to do!
Then it translated into application this morning. We got ready and headed out the door for the grocery store. The idea was to be home before 10 so I'd have time to unload the groceries, pack a quick lunch, and get us ready to go to the pool. We got home at 9:50 and while I was unloading the groceries the kids found some water sitting in a cooler in the garage and Claire proceeded to SIT in it. Fully clothed. So I got her changed into dry clothes, and finished packing lunch. I got everyone in the car and realized our little bag with pool toys and sunscreen was no where to be found. I scavenged the house, car, and garage for about 10 minutes looking for it. We couldn't go to the pool without sunscreen and floaties! I finally found the bag-- not sure how I missed it the whole time I was looking.
We got to the Y at 10:30, went to the dressing room and got changed. This is a production in itself--trying to get everyone in swim suits without letting anyone sit on the bathroom floor and trying to keep their hands off of everything. Got to the pool, got sunscreened up, and immediately the whining started. Aaron wanted to eat NOW. I gave him a granola bar to take to the picnic area, and while he was walking over there, half of the granola bar fell onto the ground. He cries any time his food breaks, so he let out this incredibly loud wail which caused the entire pool full of swimmers to turn to see the child who had busted his head open or broken his arm. "Nothing to see here, folks," I said, "Just a broken granola bar." What a drama king.
The water was fairly cold so Claire wanted nothing to do with it. She wanted her floaties on, then she wanted them off. She was mad because the skirt on her swimsuit got a little wet. Ugh, why do I even bother?? At this point they were both whining to go home, even though we had only been there about 20 minutes.
So we left, came home and ate our lunch, then had homemade snow cones for lunch. I think having some time to decompress this morning was just what I needed--instead of a long morning at the pool. As I type this the kids are laughing and playing the living room. I love the sound of them giggling and talking to each other.
What a sweet lesson I have learned today--God is in control of our days, no matter how much we try to plan. And sometimes His agenda is bigger than a morning at the pool or my long to-do list.
1 comment:
see? reassurance was just waiting for you to find it. so glad that God put your mind and heart at rest. you're doing a wonderful job, nicole!
Post a Comment