Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My genious husband

I just have to share and brag on my sweet genious of a husband! Yesterday I got a new computer from work, to bring home to replace the desktop computer I brought home 4 years ago when Aaron was born. Since I work from home it's somewhat cumbersome to get a replacement PC, but I had a feeling my old one was about to die (it is over 6 years old), so I knew it was time to bite the bullet and get a new one. (It didn't cost me anything, but I despise the process of setting up a new PC! Installing programs, moving data, setting all the preferences....BLECK!)

I brought it home yesterday, and had to unplug the old one to use the power cord for the new one. Chris brought home an extra power cord from work so we could hook them both up at the same time to transfer the data. When he got home, he went to plug the old one back in, and came in the kitchen to ask, "Is there any reason why the old computer won't turn on?"

I seriously thought I was going to be sick. No, I have not backed up all my pictures! Yes, I would have lost so many documents that would be so annoying to not be able to access! Chris did some investigating while I finished cooking dinner, and he determined the power supply on the old PC was bad.

We had an even older PC (bought in 1997!) in the attic which we retired a couple of years ago. I wanted to put it on the curb, but Chris insisted we might need it one day so he wrapped it up and put it in the attic. I didn't see the point, because it would just fry in the heat of the attic. But whatever.

So over dinner we discussed our options for fixing the PC and/or rescuing the data on our hard drive. During our dinner prayer I prayed that God would help us fix our problem.

After I cleaned up dinner, Chris went to get the 97 PC out of the attic, and while he had both old PC's open on the table, I was having serious indigestion about the whole situation so I took a walk with the kids and my friend down the street.

When I got home, Chris gave me a thumbs up--he was able to make the power supply in the 97 PC work in the other old one!! He got it up, we networked them together, and got the data transferred to the new PC. I praised Chris all night for his work--he is seriously a genious.

The funny thing is that the IT guy who was giving me my computer yesterday was praising ME for my computer savvy, saying how good it was I was so inquisitive, blah blah blah. He said, "I bet if you got a new stereo system with DVD player and all your husband would let you set it up!" I laughed and snickered, and said, "Are you kidding me? My husband is smarter than I am--there's no way I would do any of that stuff as long as he's around!"

What a smart guy I married. Love you honey!

2 comments:

Jason and Leigha said...

All I have to say is WOW!!! I wouldn't even know where to start if that happened to me. :) Way to go Chris!

Sophie-and-Bryce said...

let me be the first to say -- there is NOTHING like that feeling of doom when you realize that you haven't backed up precious documents and photos. i make a habit of backing up (monthly) the photos and journals - just a simple CD burn. i, myself, have had to format this PC twice, and it's suuuuuuch a grueling process! when we're done backing the docs up, i make a habit of deleting them and then running a defrag and so forth. so far so good on this ol' PC of ours.

i just keep sayin' my prayers and hope that i don't see that dreaded "blue screen of death."

since i've formatted it twice now, it's not nearly as intimidating, but it's very daunting to have to reload the OS and all the programs we have on there to get it back up and running.

hug that man of yours and give him lots of extra kisses. you're lucky to have someone to help out with the PC. (my chris knows not to mess with this thing - hahahaha!)

oh, and the video of claire? PRICELESS!!!