Thursday, June 5, 2008

Where do people get their children?

I had a funny conversation with Aaron in the car yesterday. It came from out of nowhere. I'll preface this conversation by saying that we frequently talk about the monster in our tummies as a ploy to get the kids to eat. "Do you think monsters like broccoli? I bet yours does!"

We're driving along in the car and there is a moment of silence. Aaron pipes up and says, "Mommy, some people have to buy their children at the Kid Walmart." I loved how he said children with emphasis, I think to show me he was using a big word instead of saying "kids".

"Really?" I said. "Why?"

"Because they don't have babies in their tummies," he answered.

"Oh," I replied, not quite sure what to say. "Well, how did Mommy get babies in her tummy?" I just thought I'd throw this question out there to see what he would say. I dread the day I have to actually explain this.

Aaron answered, "I don't know!"

"I think God put them there," I said.

"He DID!" Aaron agreed. Then we had another moment of silence. "Mommy, when we were in your tummy, we were SCARED."

"Oh, I don't think you were scared. You really liked it in Mommy's tummy." I answered.

Randomly, Claire pipes up right at that moment with "Mmmmm hmmm." Yeah, she loved Mommy's tummy. So much I thought she would never come out! She waited until the last possible moment--the doctor mentioned eviction and she decided it might be time to come. But I digress...

Aaron said, "No, we were SCARED. You have a MONSTER in your tummy!"

A light bulb comes on for Mommy. Who would have thought he would make that correlation!

"No, when Mommy has babies in her tummy, there are no monsters!" I reassured him. I'm not sure he believed me. He's a real believer in the monster theory. I mean, who else is eating all that food he puts in his tummy?

No comments: