Saturday, September 20, 2008

Help with chore charts

I need your help!

I'm looking for ways to get Aaron more involved in helping around the house, not for the help (heaven knows it takes longer to do something with a 4 year old!), but to teach him responsiblity. I'd also like to start an allowance system to teach him about money and saving.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to implement it.

I read on The Pioneer Woman blog about a system she uses called "Choreorganizers." It seems like a neat concept and I'm trying to figure out how to implement it without purchasing the product! Basically it has a chore chart with each day having new chore cards you have to complete to earn a Mommy Buck, which you can redeem (or save) at the end of the week at the Chore Store (which I would stock with a variety of items from candy to larger toys he would have to save for).

Here's what I can't figure out.

Are the chores optional? Like if Aaron just decides his chores are too hard one day, he just doesn't want to earn a Mommy buck so he doesn't do anything? How do I handle that? I can totally hear him saying, "Nah, I just don't want a Mommy buck today." Then would come the screaming from me (I'm not proud!), "You better do your chores or ELSE!" And what does that accomplish? I don't want to spend the day negotiating with him.

Oh, and I think the chores will be:
*Help set the table.
*Put away laundry.
*Clean up toys (this one is huge!)
*Help put away groceries.

I'm trying to think of more, to give him more opportunities to take on responsibility. I thought of "make your bed" and "dust" but these are things I rarely do (again, not proud!) so I can't see myself enforcing those.

I also need to figure out ways to get Claire involved, because she doesn't realize she's only two, and she thinks she has to do EVERYTHING her brother does. Except when it involves work, usually. We have trouble getting her to help clean up. Imagine that.

So do you think the Choreorganizer system is a good one? Do you have a better idea? If you're a mom out there, please let me know what has worked for you!

2 comments:

Sophie-and-Bryce said...

i did it the easy way with sophie.

she has three chores that are *hers* -- meaning, she knows what they are, they're simple for her age, and she can complete them appropriately.

she helps to feed the cats.

she makes her bed.

she brings her dinner plates to the sink.


for these three things, to start, we made a chart. each task done got a sticker for the day.

we started off with little gifts (she LOVES 'littlest pet shop' toys). since they're about $5 a box, she gets one box every two weeks.

we haven't done money yet because there are so many LPS toys she likes but hasn't gotten yet (she collects them). but, if she would prefer money, i'd likely give her $2 or $3 for the week.

Amy said...

Maybe you could tell Aaron that if he DOESN'T do the chore he has to pay you a mommy buck.