Tonight at church I was so blessed to be able to hear the testimony of Jeff Nowell, a man in our church who about a year ago was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gherig's disease. He is young, probably in his late 30's or early 40's, with two middle-school-age sons and a wonderful Godly wife. He has had a rough year of learning to trust God no matter what. His speech is now slurred and his body doesn't always cooperate when he tries to move, but he got in front of our church's congregation tonight and shared a Word from God anyway. I was captivated.
He said this has been the best year of his life. Imagine! He has grown more spiritually in the last year than he ever has before. He is reading God's Word and soaking it all in. He said he wants total strangers to ask him about his problem, because then he can tell them about how great God is! He talked about faith--how it is simply trusting God. It's not too lofty for you or me to obtain. He has chosen not to live like he is dying, but to LIVE.
As I think about this, I wonder how much I would trust God in such tough circumstances. I think of all the horrible things that I would never want to happen to me or my family--a terminal illness, loss of a child, severe financial ruin. I wonder how I would react under such circumstances. Would I draw closer to the Lord? I don't want any of those tough things to happen in my life, but I do believe I would still praise God, who is in control of all things.
If I desire to be closer to the Lord, why would I not draw near to him now--when I have all the blessings to praise Him for? I have started reading "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" by Joanna Weaver. It is my desire to be like Mary, who sat at the feet of Jesus, soaking Him in. I get so busy in my daily life, like Martha, but I need to make time to be like Mary. Lord, help me draw near to You!
2 comments:
God really touched my heart through Jeff's testamony too. it was awsome to hear his excitement for God and his eagerness to share his story! i read that book last year, and loved it! it's a great book and helps you kinda focus on what's really important in life, and that's living for Jesus!
I've read that book - ITS EXCELLENT!!!
Post a Comment