Sunday, September 14, 2008

Surgery tomorrow

You may remember my post in May about Aaron's problem. The doctor recommended surgery, and quite frankly, I didn't like that answer. I prayed and researched, and decided to wait and see what the pediatrician said at his 4-year checkup in July. I was trying to convince myself there wasn't really a problem and he was just fine.

We saw the pediatrician in July, and of course the pediatrician recommended the surgery. A couple of weeks ago I got the surgery scheduled, and I've tried not to give it too much thought.

But here I sit the night before and I'm nervous. What if they mess up, or what if it traumatizes him? I'm praying he is too young to really remember this. Sometimes his mind is like a steel trap though!

Claire is staying with Chris's grandmother tonight, so we can both take him to the surgery center in the morning. I've told him a little bit about what's going to happen, and he met the anesthesiologist last week. His big question was, "Am I going to get a shot?" And the answer is no--not that he'll be aware of. The anesthesia is done with gas, and he'll get an IV after he's asleep. I cannot imagine trying to put an IV in a 4-year old while he is awake!!

Aaron is pretty excited about going through the toy tunnel and getting to pick out a toy before his surgery. Hopefully that will be the memory he keeps about tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just said a little prayer for aaron. i hope everything goes well today.

kim.

Woodman said...

Gosh! I somehow missed the blog back in May about this. How was the surgery? How is aaron doing?

Samantha said...

Hey! I'm sure everything will go smoothly. I'll keep you and Aaron in my thoughts and prayers today.

Jason and Leigha said...

I am praying for ya'll today.