
For the first week of school I had snagged some Lunchables for $1! That was cheap, and I grabbed a few. I should have filled my buggy, apparently, because the kids love them. And they're so easy to just throw in the lunchbox. Now that they're back to $6.49 or whatever extremely high regular price they normally are, I'm improvising.
Several months ago I picked up some sandwich boxes at the Target Dollar Spot. (Love love love the Dollar Spot!) I got one Lightning McQueen box and one Disney Princess box. They are the perfect size for a sandwich, and great for keeping the sandwich from smushing and for conserving all those plastic baggies so they don't end up in a landfill!
So I'm using these sandwich boxes for my homemade lunchables. I can make them the night before, so they can be just as easy to throw in the lunch box before school.
I start with some ham or bologna or whatever I have on hand. The kids like "ham rolls", which is just ham rolled up, so that works for me.
Then I add cheese. Claire likes string cheese. Aaron is a cheese snob and now only likes swiss. So I take a slice of swiss and fold it twice so I end up with four squares.
Next is the crackers. When we were cleaning out my Grandma's pantry I found an unopened box of multi-grain club crackers. They are good, y'all!! The kids like them too, so in they go!
Finally, since every good lunchable has a cookie, I put a couple of those small Famous Amos cookies in there.
Voila! Homemade Lunchable! For pennies instead of breaking the bank!!
3 comments:
What a great idea and very simple to do. I make small snacks like yours for my children as well. The lunchable concept never enetered my mind.
SO glad that my children don't even like the meat from the high priced lunchables.
Thanks for sharing.
cute idea! My kids eat lunch at school, so I have no need to make these, but I might try it one of these days when we go on a trip or something
I have reused the lunchable container before - I add my own meat, cheese, cracker and even snack and just put plastic wrap over the top and a rubber band to hold it.
We had them on sale for a buck here recently too - I bought a bunch but only allow 2 per week as they are very high in sodium. The best before dates of Dec should tell me how much preservatives there have in them LOL
Post a Comment